Meet standards with hands-on, inquiry-based activities from Frey Scientific, the name you trust.
Neo/SCI investigations have been the chosen resource for hands-on, student-directed, inquiry-based activities in science classrooms for more than 15 years. Frey Scientific's all-new Neo/SCI Advanced Placement® Biology Lab Investigations align to the revised AP curriculum framework and help students apply key science practices and concepts needed to excel on the AP exam.
AP® and Advanced Placement® are trademarks registered and/or owned by the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
New AP standards for 21st century learning
The new standards focus on deep understanding of a small number of key topics grouped into four "big ideas" in which students must complete at least two hands-on lab investigations. Let Frey Scientific help you provide students with engaging, thorough laboratory experiences with Neo/SCI AP Biology.
Key Changes in the new standards:
- Requires eight lab investigations, two from each big idea
- Promotes depth and complexity of content over breadth
- Emphasizes inquiry and student-directed experiments over "lecture-and-demonstration"
- Differentiates required from optional content with clear learning objectives
- Connects learning objectives to key scientific practices
- Incorporates feedback from universities on what students should know after completing a college-level biology course
4 Big Ideas
Four “big ideas” represent the core scientific principles, theories, and processes
Big Idea #1: Evolution
The process of evolution drives the diversity and unity of life.
- Artificial Selection
- Mathematical Modeling: Hardy-Weinberg
- Comparing DNA Sequences to Understand Evolutionary Relationships with BLAST
Big Idea #2: Cellular Processes—Energy and Communication
Biological systems utilize free energy and molecular building blocks to grow, to reproduce, and to maintain dynamic homeostasis.
- Diffusion and Osmosis
- Cellular Respiration
Big Idea #3: Genetics and Information Transfer
Living systems store, retrieve, transmit, and respond to information essential to life processes.
- Mitosis and Meiosis
- Biotechnology: Bacterial Transformation
- Biotechnology: Restriction Enzyme Analysis of DNA Profiling
Big Idea #4: Interactions
Biological systems interact, and these systems and their interactions possess complex properties.
- Energy Dynamics
- Fruit Fly Behavior
- Enzyme Activity
7 Science Practices
Seven science practices are integrated into the course content and throughout our hands-on investigations. Students are expected to:
- Use representations and models to communicate scientific phenomena and solve scientific problems.
- Use mathematics appropriately.
- Engage in scientific questioning to extend thinking or to guide investigations.
- Plan and implement data collection strategies appropriate to a particular scientific question.
- Perform data analysis and evaluate evidence.
- Work with scientific explanations and theories.
1 Comprehensive Program