Unlock the secrets of the human genome
Students examine DNA structure and the genetic molecule, model monohybrid and dihybrid crosses, learn Mendelian Laws, model meiosis and fertilization, determine gene trait frequency, test the Hardy-Weiberg Principle, construct pedigrees, and determine genotypes and phenotypes. They also explore the human genome, learn karyotype analysis, diagnose and predict a genetic disease, and examine human diversity through blood groups.
Two comprehensive culminating activities confirm identities through DNA profile analysis and calculating trait frequency in a population.
Genetics and Inheritance includes:
- Investigation literature and student guide, comprehensive Curriculum Guide, and a Curriculum Resources CD-ROM with a virtual lab
- Four units of study (labs), each with 2–5 activities (20 activities total):
- Unit 1: The DNA Connection
- Unit 2: Genetics and Heredity
- Unit 3: Human Genetics and Inheritance
- Unit 4: Comprehensive Inquiry Investigations
- A poster on human genetic disorders
- Storage cabinet with materials for 40 students in clearly labeled drawers
||Complete Module with Virtual Lab
||CD-ROM Network License